I’ve attended the RSA safety convention for the previous 15 years, and issues have modified fairly a bit. The occasion has gone from a couple of thousand to round 50,000 attendees, resulting in a confluence of humanity and visitors across the Moscone Heart. Lodge room costs exceed $500 per night time – even at a number of the “boutique” (i.e. flea bag) resorts in and round Union Sq.. The RSA occasion has turn out to be the nexus the place cybersecurity meets high-end capitalism.
Overpriced resorts and large crowds are not any accident – the RSA Safety Convention has morphed from an trade to a worldwide occasion the place a number of the smartest cybersecurity minds come collectively to share details about the newest threats and talk about what defensive countermeasures might be best.
Listed below are a couple of of the highlighted matters that I and the ESG staff will probably be specializing in:
- Enterprise-class cyber danger administration. CEOs wish to find out about cyber vulnerabilities, who’s attacking their vital enterprise processes, and whether or not the group has the precise controls in place to fend off these assaults. Oh, and so they need this info to be well timed, up-to-the-minute, and correct. Sadly, many CISOs don’t have the abilities, processes, or knowledge analytics to supply this info. To me, this makes cyber danger administration an existential challenge the place we’d like an enormous enchancment on the established order. I’ll be wandering the halls on the Moscone Heart, in search of innovation and out-of-the-box considering that may assist bridge right this moment’s cyber danger administration hole.
- Cloud-scale cybersecurity analytics. How can enterprise organizations kind by large and rising volumes of cybersecurity knowledge in actual time to seek out needles within the haystacks? By shifting from on-premises safety analytics servers to cloud-based storage, processing, and superior analytics. This shift is already occurring – main SIEM distributors IBM and Splunk are seeing regular progress of their SIEM within the cloud enterprise, however others – equivalent to Devo, JASK, and Alphabet/Google (Chronicle) – are crashing the safety analytics/operations occasion with cloud-native alternate options. The RSA Convention ought to present proof of how far alongside we’re on this shift.
- The endpoint safety shuffle. Lots of the 50 (or so) endpoint safety distributors will probably be attending the RSA Convention, crowing about their tightly built-in merchandise. These suites characteristic a single endpoint agent together with tightly built-in functions for endpoint safety, EDR, asset administration, and so on. Some accompany their merchandise with managed companies, whereas others combine endpoint safety instruments with DLP, e mail safety, risk intelligence, cloud workload safety, community safety controls, and so forth. ESG analysis does point out that the market is transferring on this route – enterprises wish to substitute endpoint safety instruments with tightly built-in, full perform endpoint safety suites. Fact be instructed, endpoints are prime actual property in cybersecurity, so distributors will struggle like canines to realize a foothold right here. This could make the endpoint safety portion of RSA fairly energetic and entertaining.
- API safety. Cloud utility improvement is accelerating and diversifying the place many organizations have digital machines, containers, and now serverless functions operating within the cloud, remodeling code into infrastructure. Yup, microservices make a number of sense for scale and improvement agility, but when every thing is speaking to every thing else by way of APIs, it’s possible that there are lots of (and I imply many) utility vulnerabilities. Moreover, API safety is new, so processes are possible immature, and API safety sits someplace between utility builders, DevOps, and cybersecurity, resulting in organizational and expertise challenges. My esteemed colleague Doug Cahill will probably be busy making an attempt to arrange this chaos at RSA.
- Community safety in a cloudy world. Like endpoint safety, community safety is a staple – about .25 to .35 cents of each safety expertise greenback is spent on this space. OK, however will this proceed when bodily networks give technique to cloud-based workload-to-workload communications? In fact, community safety is morphing to a hybrid mannequin for distributed coverage enforcement throughout bodily, digital, and cloud-based community communication. On the identical time, organizations need central coverage administration for the entire enchilada. Oh, and the community entry mannequin is altering, too, transferring to a software-defined perimeter (SDP). So, despite the fact that it looks like yesterday’s information, community safety will nonetheless be a serious matter at RSA 2019.
- Superior and managed safety companies. Cybersecurity calls for a brand new stage of scale, coordination, and experience. At many organizations, CISOs and the cybersecurity workers want a number of assist to fulfill these new and unprecedented cybersecurity necessities. Look for lots of banter round managed companies and safety course of re-engineering companies (i.e. for safety operations, incident response, cyber danger administration, and so on.) at RSA this 12 months.
Wow, it is a fairly hefty checklist, and I didn’t even point out utility safety, knowledge safety, risk intelligence, identification administration, and so on. See you in San Francisco!